Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums
Date: 2019-03-19 15:55:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 19.03.2019, 08:36 -0700 schrieb Andres Freund:
> > +/*
> > + * Locations of persistent and temporary control files. The control
> > + * file gets renamed into a temporary location when enabling checksums
> > + * to prevent a parallel startup of Postgres.
> > + */
> > +#define CONTROL_FILE_PATH "global/pg_control"
> > +#define CONTROL_FILE_PATH_TEMP CONTROL_FILE_PATH ".pg_checksums_in_progress"
>
> I think this should be outright rejected. Again, you're making the
> control file into something it isn't. And there's no buyin for this as
> far as I can tell outside of Fabien and you. For crying out loud, if the
> server crashes during this YOU'VE CORRUPTED THE CLUSTER.

The cluster is supposed to be offline during this. This is just an
additional precaution so that nobody starts it during the operation -
similar to how pg_upgrade disables the old data directory.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz