Re: Adding a TAP test checking data consistency on standby with minRecoveryPoint

From: Georgios Kokolatos <gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Adding a TAP test checking data consistency on standby with minRecoveryPoint
Date: 2019-03-12 11:02:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

you are right in saying that my comment didn't offer much of a constructive explanation.
Apologies for that.

To the issue at hand. Tests were run in the same manner as in all other cases and the test
in question was the only one to fail in the whole tree.

By looking a bit closer to the error, the culprit seems to be the missing installation of
`pageinspect`, as it was correctly pointed out. I did notice before sending the first message in
the thread that `contrib/pageinspect` was added to the `EXTRA_INSTALL` variable and I
*assumed* that it should be properly installed to the system. However that was not the case.

Without being a recursive Makefile guru, I noticed one has to explicitly
$(call recurse,checkprep, $(recurse_alldirs_targets))
in `src/test/Makefile` in order for the call to `checkprep` to be made for running
make check or installcheck or any other of the variants.

Having said all the above, and after spending more time reviewing the whole patch
I do think it is worthwhile committing, as long as it is not tripping any users up with unexpected
test errors due to incomplete installations.

I hope this comment helps a bit more.