Postgres 9.6 Slave Creation

From: Eric Katchan <eric(dot)katchan(at)concordia(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres 9.6 Slave Creation
Date: 2019-03-09 13:49:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We have recently upgraded our postgres cluster from 9.1 to 9.6. we are having a difficult time creating our slave server. We have encountered the "contrecord is requested" error which is preventing the slave from starting up. We have recreated the slave , still no luck. Our master is running apparently without issue. We did not use the pg_basebackup command but the

pg_start_backup

tar

pg_stop_backup?

How can we debug? I am afraid to stop and start our master server in case there is data corruption and it will not start. I have however successfully restored the database using a pg_dump onto another machine (I understand that this cannot be used for slave creation, I just wanted to verify that I could restore the new upgraded db). Would it be better to use the streaming pg_basebackup command?

Please advise.

Eric