Re: -O switch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: -O switch
Date: 2020-10-29 16:25:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 4:45 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I don't think it's really obsolete ... don't we use that to pass
>> PGOPTIONS through from the client?

> That said, I don't think we do, or I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
> The startup packet which holds the client options is not read until
> we're already in the child process, so there is no further exec to be
> done?

[ pokes around... ] Ah, you're right, that stuff goes through
port->cmdline_options now. It looks like the mechanism for -o
is the postmaster's ExtraOptions variable, which we could get
rid of this way. Seems like a reasonable thing, especially since
we unified all the other postmaster/postgres options already.