Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-27 15:51:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
>>> Users: care about HS more than anything else in the world.
>>
>> I don't think this is correct. There are certainly a lot of users who
>> would like an in-core replication solution, but HS by itself is not that
>> --- you also need (near) real-time log shipping, which we have already
>> decided to punt to 8.5. That being the case, I think the argument
>> that HS is a must-have feature for 8.4 is actually rather weak.

> I don't buy that. Sure, sync-rep would be the icing on the cake, but
> HS with a small archive_timeout (even of the order of 10 or 15
> minutes) would have been extremely useful on a number of systems I
> used to run.

Sure, I don't deny that HS by itself would have significant use cases.
But what those zillions of users want is easy-to-set-up replication
(think mysql). Without an integrated and fairly high-performance log
shipping capability, they are not going to find HS very compelling.
Claiming otherwise is just wishful thinking.

My own feeling about it is that once we have both HS and log shipping
integrated and reasonably well polished, we'd have something that
deserved the fabled 9.0 version number. But that's probably a year
away, and we are not doing anyone a favor by not putting out 8.4
in the meantime.