Re: Calling variadic function with default value in named notation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Calling variadic function with default value in named notation
Date: 2020-10-29 15:51:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> As I look at this more I'm definitely agreeing that the documentation here
> is problematic. Specifically, the fact that the only place about this
> syntax is in a chapter under Extending SQ - SQL Functions, is not good. It
> really needs to be in the Syntax chapter.

The documentation situation was complained of in the 2009 thread I just
cited :-(. Doesn't look like anybody did anything about it.

I am not, however, persuaded that you can just move a bunch of that
material to the syntax chapter. I don't think it's very practical
to describe variadic functions when the user doesn't know how to
create one. And we definitely should not push all the docs about
creating functions into the syntax chapter.