Re: Online verification of checksums

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Online verification of checksums
Date: 2019-02-04 07:57:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 03.02.2019, 02:06 -0800 schrieb Andres Freund:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-12-25 10:25:46 +0100, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> > Hallo Michael,
> >
> > > Yeah, new rebased version attached.
> >
> > Patch v8 applies cleanly, compiles, global & local make check are ok.
> >
> > A few comments:
> >
> > About added tests: the node is left running at the end of the script, which
> > is not very clean. I'd suggest to either move the added checks before
> > stopping, or to stop again at the end of the script, depending on the
> > intention.
>
> Michael?

Uh, I kinda forgot about this, I've made the tests stop the node now.

> > I'm wondering (possibly again) about the existing early exit if one block
> > cannot be read on retry: the command should count this as a kind of bad
> > block, proceed on checking other files, and obviously fail in the end, but
> > having checked everything else and generated a report. I do not think that
> > this condition warrants a full stop. ISTM that under rare race conditions
> > (eg, an unlucky concurrent "drop database" or "drop table") this could
> > happen when online, although I could not trigger one despite heavy testing,
> > so I'm possibly mistaken.
>
> This seems like a defensible judgement call either way.

Right now we have a few tests that explicitly check that
pg_verify_checksums fail on broken data ("foo" in the file). Those
would then just get skipped AFAICT, which I think is the worse behaviour
, but if everybody thinks that should be the way to go, we can
drop/adjust those tests and make pg_verify_checksums skip them.

Thoughts?

In the meanwhile, v9 is attached with the above change and rebased
(without changes) to master.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz

Attachment Content-Type Size
online-verification-of-checksums_V9.patch text/x-patch 8.2 KB