Re: (another ;-)) PostgreSQL-derived project ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (another ;-)) PostgreSQL-derived project ...
Date: 2011-09-25 16:25:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Well, at least I thought you would tell me where the postgresql-base
> is to be found. The last version I found is:
> http://freebsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw/pub/distfiles/postgresql/postgresql-base-8.3beta2.tar.bz2
> and I wondered what that is and why there are no postgresql-base
> after "8.3beta2"

We stopped bothering because the split tarballs weren't really good for
anything separately. They were never independently buildable pieces,
and were only meant to ease downloading the distribution over unreliable
internet connections. That concern was obsolete some years ago. The
only part of the PG distribution that's ever been meant to be separately
buildable is libpq and some of the client-side tools. If you want to
start stripping down the server, you're on your own.

Now, having said that, there has been some interest in pushing
lesser-used chunks like the geometric datatypes out into extensions.
I don't see how that's going to result in any significant performance
gain, though.