Re: Strange OSX make check-world failure

From: Samuel Cochran <sj26(at)sj26(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange OSX make check-world failure
Date: 2018-12-07 05:18:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi folks 👋

Forgive me if I'm getting the mailing list etiquette wrong — first time poster.

I ended up sitting next to Thomas Munro at PGDU 2018 and talking about testing. While trying to get `make check` running on my macbook, I think I may have fixed this issue.

System Integrity Protection strips dynamic linker (dyld) environment variables, such as DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, during exec(2) [1] so we need to rewrite the load paths inside binaries when relocating then during make temp-install before make check on darwin. Homebrew does something similar [2]. I've attached a patch which adjust the Makefile and gets make check working on my machine with SIP in tact.

Cheers,
Sam

[1]: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/RuntimeProtections/RuntimeProtections.html
[2]: https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/blob/77e6a927504c51a1393a0a6ccaf6f2611ac4a9d5/Library/Homebrew/os/mac/keg.rb#L17-L30

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018, at 8:39 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 2:14 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> "make check" generally won't work on OSX unless you've disabled SIP:
> >> https://www.howtogeek.com/230424/how-to-disable-system-integrity-protection-on-a-mac-and-why-you-shouldnt/
>
> > Aha! It looks like it was important to run "make install" before
> > running those tests.
>
> Right. If you don't want to disable SIP, you can work around it by always
> doing "make install" before "make check". Kind of a PITA though.
>
> regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
installname.patch text/plain 1.6 KB