Re: Reserved words and workarounds...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matt Clark <mclark(at)rushe(dot)aero(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reserved words and workarounds...
Date: 2002-09-13 04:38:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Matt Clark <mclark(at)rushe(dot)aero(dot)org> writes:
> Changing the source code of the client program, which generates the
> SQL, is not an option.

I'm afraid you're SOL then :-(

> What other words are restricted from being used as column names?

See
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/sql-keywords-appendix.html
for a pretty complete rundown. Note that LIMIT is considered a reserved
word per SQL99 (though not per SQL92) ... so you will not get a whole
lot of sympathy for any request to make it unreserved. We already do
our best not to reserve more keywords than we have to.