Re: Help, I dropped a system datatype, and now I'm ....

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help, I dropped a system datatype, and now I'm ....
Date: 2001-04-30 16:23:30
Lists: pgsql-general

"Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net> writes:
>> Oops. Consider not doing your development work as superuser ;-)

> What is the definition of superuser? most of my users have the ability to
> createdb. This seems to give them superuser priveleges. Is that correct?

Somebody whose 'usesuper' flag is set in pg_shadow is a superuser.

IIRC, the CREATE USER command and createuser script mislabel that
feature as "ability to create other users", but it's really
superuserness. Ability to create databases (usecreatedb flag in
pg_shadow) is a separate attribute that you can grant without granting
superuserness.

Also, you can try turning off 'usecatupd' in pg_shadow to make a
not-quite-so-super user (suffering from effects of exposure to
kryptonite, I suppose) but I am not sure exactly what that does or
how consistently it's applied.