Re: getXXX throws SQLException while on insert row

From: andreasfreyer <freyer(at)online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getXXX throws SQLException while on insert row
Date: 2008-02-10 23:50:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

according to the Java Documentation form SUN ResultSet.moveToInsertRow is
defined as:

Moves the cursor to the insert row. The current cursor position is
remembered while the cursor is positioned on the insert row. The insert row
is a special row associated with an updatable result set. It is essentially
a buffer where a new row may be constructed by calling the updater methods
prior to inserting the row into the result set. Only the updater, getter,
and insertRow methods may be called when the cursor is on the insert row.
All of the columns in a result set must be given a value each time this
method is called before calling insertRow. An updater method must be called
before a getter method can be called on a column value.

I would like to draw our attention to the the last sentence:
"An updater method must be called before a getter method can be called on a
column value."

That means after setting a value [rs.updateXXX(abc)] it is possible to get
it back [rs.getXXX()] without doing anything else in between [so without
rs.insertRow() or rs.updateRow()].

best regards,
Andreas Freyer

PS: To my knowledge atleast the JDBC Drivers for the following Databases
work like this: MySQLDB, HSQLDB, Derby