Re: Adding perl

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: KeithW(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com
Cc: "PostgreSQL Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding perl
Date: 2005-04-21 16:06:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Apr 21, 2005, at 11:48 AM, Keith Worthington wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just finished writing a perl script to process some text data
> and now I
> want to turn it into a function.
>
> createlang fails as follows
> # createlang -U postgres plperl MYDB
> createlang: language installation failed: ERROR: could not access file
> "$libdir/plperl": No such file or directory
>
> Okay so I find the following
> Note: Users of source packages must specially enable the
> build of PL/Perl during the installation process. (Refer
> to Section 14.1 for more information.) Users of binary
> packages might find PL/Perl in a separate subpackage.
> on the Perl documentation page
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plperl.html
>
> So, does this mean that I need to download v8.0.2 source, recompile and
> reinstall? If so can I do this over the current v8.0.0?

You aren't on windows, are you?

Having done this recently, go with the upgrade. You have to recompile
anyway, I think.

> If something breaks can I go back to v8.0.0?

I typically just move the old pgsql directory to pgsql-8.0.0 (under
/usr/local, for example), do the reinstall of the upgrade, etc. I do a
dumpall from the old version before doing any of this and then rebuild
the database in the new installation, but I think I saw that you don't
need to do that for 8.0.0 to 8.0.2 (that the data directory structure,
etc. is the same), but you probably want to confirm that. If something
breaks, then you can just move the entire pgsql-8.0.0 directory back to
the old pgsql location and you are back to 8.0.0 again.