Re: ONLY with parentheses

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ONLY with parentheses
Date: 2009-01-08 14:44:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Then I noticed that the SQL standard requires parentheses, like
>>
>> TRUNCATE ONLY (a), b
>>
>> which is clearer.

> Hmm, if I want to truncate only both (or is that "both only"?), what do
> I have to do?

> TRUNCATE ONLY (a, b)

Yeah. To me those parentheses look more like redundant parentheses,
eg writing 2 + (2) instead of just 2 + 2. If you consider that they're
not redundant then it becomes a fair question why Alvaro's multiple-
elements syntax doesn't work.

In the end what you have to point out is that ONLY binds tighter than
comma. I don't think that parens where the committee put them help
resolve that at all.