Re: Shared_buffers hint

From: Marcelo Martins <pglists(at)zeroaccess(dot)org>
To: Rafael Domiciano <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Shared_buffers hint
Date: 2008-10-06 13:23:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Rafael,

The result there means that the minimal should be 4.69Mb for
shared_buffers
As a rule of thumb the shared buffers should be between 10% - 15% of
available RAM that assuming such is a dedicated PG server.
I have worked on some servers where I set shared buffers lower than
10%, it's really a matter of trying out what value works best for you.

Marcelo
Linux/Solaris System Administrator
http://www.zeroaccess.org