Re: Indexes not used

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexes not used
Date: 2001-03-15 21:04:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

"D. Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com> writes:
>> VACUUM ANALYZE

> i've done this as well, but it gives me no output other than "VACUUM"

That's what it's supposed to do.

> or does it work silently in the background?

If you want noise, try VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE.

Anyway: don't the EXPLAIN numbers change once you've done VACUUM
ANALYZE? How many rows are there matching 'someuser', anyhow?

It might be useful to see the planner's statistics, too -- try

select attname,attdisbursion,s.*
from pg_statistic s, pg_attribute a, pg_class c
where starelid = c.oid and attrelid = c.oid and staattnum = attnum
and relname = 'FOO';

(substitute name of interesting table for FOO)