Re: Calculate total_table_pages after set_base_rel_sizes()

From: Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowley(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Calculate total_table_pages after set_base_rel_sizes()
Date: 2018-09-24 22:22:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley said:
> I believe that we should be delaying the PlannerInfo's
> total_table_pages calculation until after constraint exclusion and
> partition pruning have taken place. Doing this calculation before we
> determine which relations we don't need to scan can lead to
> incorrectly applying random_page_cost to too many pages processed
> during an Index Scan.
>
> We already don't count relations removed by join removals from this
> calculation, so counting pruned partitions seems like an omission.
>
> The attached patch moves the calculation to after set_base_rel_sizes()
> is called and before set_base_rel_pathlists() is called, where the
> information is actually used.
>
> I am considering this a bug fix, but I'm proposing this for PG12 only
> as I don't think destabilising plans in the back branches is a good
> idea. I'll add this to the September commitfest.

Hi David, I had a quick look at this. (I haven't tested it so this isn't a full review.)

It looks like a fairly straightforward code move. And I think it's correct to exclude the pages from partitions that won't be read.

I have a small tweak. In make_one_rel, we currently have:

/*
* Compute size estimates and consider_parallel flags for each base rel,
* then generate access paths.
*/
set_base_rel_sizes(root);
set_base_rel_pathlists(root);

Your patch inserts code between the two lines. I think the comment should be split too.

/* Compute size estimates and consider_parallel flags for each base rel. */
set_base_rel_sizes(root);

// NEW CODE

/* Generate access paths. */
set_base_rel_pathlists(root);