Re: All three packages ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: All three packages ...
Date: 2004-08-20 03:04:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> What about people who are parsing the error messages?

Does anyone really have an application that is looking specifically for
"parse error"? And is going to do something useful when it finds it
that it would not do with an unrecognized error message?

Even granting that someone does,
(a) they are at risk anyway, if they choose to build from CVS or the
"make maintainer-clean" tree state on a platform with a recent Bison.
(b) they can always build with an old Bison to get the old behavior.

I was disturbed about the point this morning when I first saw it,
but the more I think about it the more I think it's a non-issue.