Re: EXT :Re: Intermittent occurrence of ERROR: could not open relation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nykolyn, Andy (AS)" <andrew(dot)nykolyn(at)ngc(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EXT :Re: Intermittent occurrence of ERROR: could not open relation
Date: 2012-02-01 16:13:59
Lists: pgsql-general

"Nykolyn, Andy (AS)" <andrew(dot)nykolyn(at)ngc(dot)com> writes:
>> 8.4.what exactly, and did you update versions around the time this
>> started happening? I'm worried that this may represent a
>> newly-introduced bug. Can you provide a self-contained test case?
>> It doesn't matter if it only fails occasionally, as long as we can
>> keep running it till it does fail.

> It is version 8.4.1 and it has been that for almost 3 years.

8.4.1? Well, the *first* thing you ought to do is update to 8.4.10
so we can see if this represents an already-fixed bug. In a quick
look through the release notes I see at least two possibly related
bug fixes, and in any case there are a slew of known crash and data
corruption bugs you are vulnerable to.