Re: ALTER TYPE 3: add facility to identify further no-work cases

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TYPE 3: add facility to identify further no-work cases
Date: 2011-01-27 16:35:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is it not OK for me to have a different idea about which way to go
> with something than you do?

Well, in this case I firmly believe that you're mistaken.

> My personal view is that we ought to try to be increasing the number
> of places where type modifiers behave like they're really part of the
> type, rather than being an afterthought that we deal with when
> convenient and otherwise ignore.

And this argument is 100% irrelevant to the problem. The problem is
that you want to put an optimization into the wrong phase of processing.
That is going to hurt us, tomorrow if not today, and it has got *no*
redeeming social value in terms of beng more flexible about what typmods
are or how "well integrated" they are.