Re: Using pgAdmin and pgAgent with Greenplum

From: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
To: 'Dave Page' <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using pgAdmin and pgAgent with Greenplum
Date: 2007-10-31 12:15:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> > However, to make pgAgent and pgAdmin work better with my solution, it
> would
> > be nice to have an enhancement. The enhancement could also benefit
> others
> > wanting to separate the database server where jobs are maintained from
> the
> > target server(s) where sql should be executed.
> >
> > On the screen where you define a SQL step, add another parameter for
> Server.
> > When executing the SQL defined, pgAgent would connect to the Server and
> then
> > execute the SQL defined in the database specified in the step.
> >
> > This solution would require an additional screen to define the servers
> too.
> >
> > Is there much demand for allowing a SQL job step to be executed on a
> remote
> > server and database?
>
> I've never heard anyone ask before, but I don't think it's an
> unreasonable request. It would be more simple to just add an additional
> textbox to the SQL Step to allow a custom connection string to be
> specified. If blank it works as now, otherwise it just uses whats there.
>
> Anyone wanna pickup this mod?
>
> /D

There are three problems with having a custom connection string for each
step. 1) If I need to update the connection like change the password, I
have to do it for each step. 2) Developers will see the password in clear
text. 3) It is error prone because I might mistype the connection
information for a step.

I am glad that you are interested in adding this mod and I'm glad that
PostgreSQL works so well for this. :)

Jon