Re: Relation bulk write facility

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Relation bulk write facility
Date: 2024-02-25 19:51:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 04:34:47PM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> I agree with Andres though, that unless someone raises their hand and
>> volunteers to properly maintain the AIX support, we should drop it.

> There's no way forward in which AIX support stops doing net harm. Even if AIX
> enthusiasts intercepted would-be buildfarm failures and fixed them before
> buildfarm.postgresql.org could see them, the damage from the broader community
> seeing the AIX-specific code would outweigh the benefits of AIX support. I've
> now disabled the animals for v17+, though each may do one more run before
> picking up the disable.

So, we now need to strip the remnants of AIX support from the code and
docs? I don't see that much of it, but it's misleading to leave it
there.

(BTW, I still want to nuke the remaining snippets of HPPA support.
I don't think it does anybody any good to make it look like that's
still expected to work.)