Re: Re: v7.1.1 branched and released on Tuesday ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: v7.1.1 branched and released on Tuesday ...
Date: 2001-04-30 16:03:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> Nothing serious, but I would like to apply a patch to allow IDENT
> strings (e.g. 'hour') to be accepted by the SQL92 EXTRACT() function. We
> accept those for date_part(), which is what EXTRACT() is translated to
> by the parser, and it seems to be a reasonable to the standard.

>> But why does that need to go into 7.1.1?

> Does not "need to". But it is non-invasive, extremely low risk, gets the
> behavior to match the docs, and gets it off my desk and into the main
> tree.

If the current behavior does not match the docs then it qualifies as a
bug fix ;-). I have no objections to this one.

Thomas, what do you think of the persistent reports of date conversion
problems at DST boundaries, eg, Ayal Leibowitz's report today in
pgsql-bugs? I cannot reproduce any such problem --- and my local
timezone database claims that MET DST transitions are the last week of
March, never the first week of April, anyway. There's something funny
going on there.