Re: shm_mq_set_sender() crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: shm_mq_set_sender() crash
Date: 2016-09-15 21:22:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Of course, it's also possible that the ParallelWorkerNumber code is
> entirely correct and something overwrote the null bytes that were
> supposed to be found at that location. It would be very useful to see
> (a) the value of ParallelWorkerNumber and (b) the contents of
> vmq->mq_sender, and in particular whether that's actually a valid
> pointer to a PGPROC in the ProcArray. But unless we can reproduce
> this I don't see how to manage that.

Is it worth replacing that Assert with a test-and-elog that would
print those values?

Given that we've seen only one such instance in the buildfarm, this
might've been just a cosmic ray bit-flip. So one part of me says
not to worry too much until we see it again. OTOH, if it is real
but rare, missing an opportunity to diagnose would be bad.