Re: Re: RELEASE STOPPER? nonportable int64 constants in pg_crc.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: RELEASE STOPPER? nonportable int64 constants in pg_crc.c
Date: 2001-03-22 05:07:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> Can we use (long long) rather than LL?
>>
>> No.

> Can I ask how 0LL is different from (long long)0?

The former is a long-long-int constant ab initio. The latter is an int
constant that is subsequently casted to long long. If you write
(long long) 12345678901234567890
I'd expect a compiler that warns about larger-than-int constants to
produce a warning anyway, since the warning is only looking at the
constant and not its context of use. (If the warning had that much
intelligence, it'd not be complaining now.)