Re: Possible bug?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Ilir Gashi <I(dot)Gashi(at)city(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible bug?
Date: 2004-07-02 16:05:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to> writes:
>> but these seem to have a constituency :-(

> I think it is reasoable to expect people to use an explicit cast when
> doing these conversions.

That's what I think, but I lost the argument last time round...

I think it would be easier to sell making these changes as part of
a move that creates non-implicit casts to/from text for *all* datatypes
(implemented on top of their I/O routines). So I don't plan on making
the proposal again until I or somebody else have time to write some
infrastructure for that.