Re: Timezone database changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Trevor Talbot" <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magne Mæhre <Magne(dot)Mahre(at)sun(dot)com>, "Aidan Van Dyk" <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timezone database changes
Date: 2007-10-12 01:22:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Trevor Talbot" <quension(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I don't know if there have ever been retroactive changes to DST laws
> we could look at, but I could easily see a change like that affecting
> some things and not others.

Even a politician would hardly be silly enough to make a retroactive
DST law change. On the other hand, it is *entirely* possible for a
computer system's DST rule files to be updated only after the effective
date of a law, and I think that's the case you'd want to design for.

Maybe, when you look at it that way, the past and future cases aren't so
different after all ...