Re: Compiling on Solaris with Sun compiler

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, Denis A Ustimenko <denis(at)oldham(dot)ru>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compiling on Solaris with Sun compiler
Date: 2001-10-23 09:28:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut writes:
> Lee Kindness writes:
> > Touche, but the man page for the front-end (plain old cc) doesn't list
> > options and only refers to the acc man page ;)
> Well, I'm stumped. All the Solaris compilers I've ever seen did support
> and document the -Wl option.

Well I never submitted my patch for building using the Sun compilers
since I thought that the newer versions did support the -Wl
option - I'm using an old (version 4) Sun compiler. However it seems
that Denis it using revision 2 of the latest version 6 compiler!

> > After a simple './configure' on a stock Solaris 2.6 box the
> > compilation of interfaces/ecpg/lib/execute.c fails due to the macro
> > definition of 'gettext' to ''. This macro is invoked on the prototype
> > of gettext() in libintl.h (included via locale.h).
> Fail how and why?

Well in c.h there is the following define:

#ifdef ENABLE_NLS
#include <libintl.h>
#else
#define gettext(x) (x)
#endif
#define gettext_noop(x) (x)

so gettext() simply is the supplied parameter if --enable-nls is not
supplied. However ecpg/execute.c has the following includes:

#include "postgres_fe.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#include <locale.h>

Via postgres_fe.h gettext() gets defined as above. However locale.h
also pulls in the systems libintl.h which has the following prototype:

extern char *gettext();

which the preprocessor changes to:

extern char *();

due to the gettext define in c.h. Naturally this makes the build
fail.

Configuring with --enable-nls gets round this but I don't require that
functionality.

Regards, Lee Kindness.