Compiling on Solaris with Sun compiler

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, Denis A Ustimenko <denis(at)oldham(dot)ru>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Compiling on Solaris with Sun compiler
Date: 2001-10-19 08:40:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut writes:
> Lee Kindness writes:
> > For your information I've attached the man page for the Sun C
> > compiler, which explicitly lists the -h and -R flags.
> I didn't read much farther than
> acc (SPARC only) is not intended to be used directly on
> Solaris 2.x. ;-)

Touche, but the man page for the front-end (plain old cc) doesn't list
options and only refers to the acc man page ;)

Onto another Solaris compilation issue...

After a simple './configure' on a stock Solaris 2.6 box the
compilation of interfaces/ecpg/lib/execute.c fails due to the macro
definition of 'gettext' to ''. This macro is invoked on the prototype
of gettext() in libintl.h (included via locale.h).

A './configure --enable-nls' is needed.

To properly fix the problem either:

1. Don't include or use locale functions in execute.c unless
--enable-locale has been specified.

2. In execute.c the include for locale.h whould be moved above that
of postgres_fe.h

3. Replace '#define gettext' in c.h with something more unique
(PG_gettext perhaps?)

Regards, Lee Kindness.