Re: Multiple databases and shared_buffers

From: Rakesh Kumar <dcruncher4(at)aim(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple databases and shared_buffers
Date: 2016-02-18 20:02:50
Lists: pgsql-general

What do you mean that the data is actually not stored in the shared buffer.
From the link you provided :
"The “shared_buffers” configuration parameter determines how much memory
is dedicated to PostgreSQL to use for caching data."

This seems to be the same like other RDBMS. Typically the terminology used is Buffer Pool.
BP is used to cache the changes done to a page and the page cleaning
process periodically flushes the dirty pages to disk.
Checkpoints typically gurantees that at a given time a page in cache is same as on the disk and is usually
used as the start time for roll forward recovery.

Does PG follow a different architecture ?