Re: pg_dump and backslash escapes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and backslash escapes
Date: 2006-05-17 03:46:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have seen no reply to my suggestion below, so I assume it is the way
> people want to go for 7.3, 7.4, and 8.0.

I'm not particularly for it, if that's what you meant, and certainly not
for hacking up old branches that way. For one thing, you can't
retroactively cause servers that are already out there to not spit
errors for GUC variables they've not heard of; and even if you had such
a time-travel machine at hand, it's far from clear that it'd be a good
idea.

The pg_dump philosophy for cross-version updates is generally that the
dump should load if you are willing to ignore errors and press on. Not
that there will never be errors. See for example our previous handling
of the without_oids business, or search_path, or tablespaces.