Re: OID and filesystem issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lfedden(at)contextworld(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OID and filesystem issues
Date: 2008-04-15 15:51:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

lfedden(at)contextworld(dot)com writes:
> Even when logged in as root, a 'ls -l' command returns:

> mm2:/var/lib/pgsql82/data/base/16673 # ls -lash | more
> /bin/ls: 19357877: Permission denied
> /bin/ls: 19569529: Permission denied

You get that as root? I think you've got filesystem problems that are
beyond the ken of us mere database weenies. Better ask some kernel
hackers.

(If you're on a SELinux-enabled system it might have to do with SELinux
permissions, although I thought that those typically weren't enforced
against interactive shells. It might be useful to look in the kernel
log and see if anything comes out when you do this.)

> So can we assume it is safe to remove these none accessible files and also the couple of orphaned OID files from pg_class we can still access?

If it won't let you chown it, it likely won't let you rm it, either...