Re: currval sequence memory storage?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: chris(dot)gamble(at)CPBINC(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: currval sequence memory storage?
Date: 2002-07-19 20:57:26
Lists: pgsql-general

chris(dot)gamble(at)CPBINC(dot)com writes:
> My questions is, when does the memory
> storage used for this currval get released and what triggers its
> release?

It's not released until your session exits.

> If
> it is never released, does that cause the process to consume excessive
> memory after several inserts across multiple tables?

Since the storage involved is just a few bytes for each distinct
sequence object that you've nextval'd in the current session, I doubt
that you need to worry. Certainly doing multiple inserts into a single
table isn't going to bloat your memory consumption, because you're
touching only one sequence.