Re: HELP! Cannot access table!!!!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Gray <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Wim <wdh(at)belbone(dot)be>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HELP! Cannot access table!!!!
Date: 2002-06-08 20:18:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

John Gray <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> See
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-03/msg00196.php
> for a previous reply by Tom Lane on this error message.

That would still be my advice.

>> Is it normal that there are 2 backslashes in /pgdata//pg_clog/0FF0 ?

> I don't think this should matter (if there was a general problem with
> your pg_clog directory, you'd not be able to do anything very much

I think this just indicates that $PGDATA was specified with a trailing
slash in the name, eg you said
postmaster -D /pgdata/
AFAIK the doubled slash will not matter on any Unix system. I did
recently change the code to remove the redundant slash from the -D
argument if given --- but that was strictly to forestall future
questions like this one, not in the expectation that it would fix any
problems.