Re: We no longer have a fallback for machines without working int64

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: We no longer have a fallback for machines without working int64
Date: 2010-01-05 20:59:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:47:33AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> As pointed out here
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-01/msg00145.php
>> the current zic code doesn't cope gracefully with lack of working
>> int64. Considering the trouble we've gone to throughout the rest of
>> the system to support such compilers, it's a bit annoying to have
>> this little detail break it. On the other hand, it's unclear that
>> anybody still cares. (Other than people running SCO Openserver, for
>> whom I have little sympathy anyway.)

> There was a use case for supporting non-working int64, but reality has
> changed.

Yeah, maybe it's time to forget about that. If so, we ought to change
configure to spit up if it can't find a working 64-bit type. Failing
much later on with a strange message from zic isn't too acceptable.

I propose doing that in both HEAD and 8.4, since both those branches are
broken for someone with such a compiler.