Re: Automatic Client Failover

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Automatic Client Failover
Date: 2008-08-05 00:02:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> writes:
> Le 5 aot 08 01:13, Tom Lane a crit :
>> There is one really bad consequence of the oversimplified failover
>> design that Simon proposes, which is that clients might try to fail
>> over for reasons other than a primary server failure. (Think network
>> partition.) You really want any such behavior to be managed
>> centrally, IMHO.

> Then, what about having pgbouncer capability into -core. This would
> probably mean, AFAIUI, than the listen()ing process would no longer
> be postmaster but a specialized one,

Huh? The problem case is that the primary server goes down, which would
certainly mean that a pgbouncer instance on the same machine goes with
it. So it seems to me that integrating pgbouncer is 100% backwards.

Failover that actually works is not something we can provide with
trivial changes to Postgres. It's really a major project in its
own right: you need heartbeat detection, STONITH capability,
IP address redirection, etc. I think we should be recommending
external failover-management project(s) instead of offering a
half-baked home-grown solution. Searching freshmeat for "failover"
finds plenty of potential candidates, but not having used any of
them I'm not sure which are worth closer investigation.