Re: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics for wait event

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: 임명규 <myungkyu(dot)lim(at)samsung(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, 홍도형 <don(dot)hong(at)samsung(dot)com>, 손우성 <woosung(dot)sohn(at)samsung(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics for wait event
Date: 2018-07-23 13:57:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> This does not need a configure switch.

It probably is there because the OP realizes that most people wouldn't
accept having this code compiled in.

> What's the performance penalty? I am pretty sure that this is
> measurable as wait events are stored for a backend for each I/O
> operation as well, and you are calling a C routine within an inlined
> function which is designed to be light-weight, doing only a four-byte
> atomic operation.

On machines with slow gettimeofday(), I suspect the cost of this
patch would be staggering. Even with relatively fast gettimeofday,
it doesn't look acceptable for calls in hot code paths (for instance,
lwlock.c).

A bigger problem is that it breaks stuff. There are countless
calls to pgstat_report_wait_start/pgstat_report_wait_end that
assume they have no side-effects (for example, on errno) and
can never fail. I wouldn't trust GetCurrentTimestamp() for either.
If the report_wait calls can't be dropped into code with *complete*
certainty that they're safe, that's a big cost.

Why exactly is this insisting on logging timestamps and not,
say, just incrementing a counter? I think doing it like this
is almost certain to end in rejection.