Re: Re: [SQL] aliases break my query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [SQL] aliases break my query
Date: 2000-05-27 04:06:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com> writes:
> How about a SET variable which allows PostgreSQL to reject any
> queries which are not entirely within the specificaton; kind of
> like -ansi -pedantic with gcc? Perhaps that's quite a bit of
> work, but it seems quite valuable for developing portable
> applications...Of course dependency on PostgreSQL extensions
> isn't a bad thing either ;-)

Hmm. Some aspects of that seem fairly straightforward, like rejecting
the table-not-in-FROM extension being discussed here. On the other
hand, it'd be painful to check for uses of datatypes or functions not
present in the standard.

In any case, I think the general reaction will be "good idea but a huge
amount of work compared to the reward". Unless someone steps forward
who's willing to do the work, I'd bet this won't happen...