Re: any body using Solaris8 with postgresql 7.3.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Weiping He <laser(at)zhengmai(dot)com(dot)cn>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: any body using Solaris8 with postgresql 7.3.3
Date: 2003-07-04 13:49:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Weiping He <laser(at)zhengmai(dot)com(dot)cn> writes:
> I've met a wierd problem on a Solaris 8/sparc box with postgresql 7.3.3:
> the server would automatically shutdown after a period of time of not
> operating. The log show something like this:
> pmdie 2

Assuming signal 2 is SIGINT on Solaris (look in /usr/include/signal.h
to make sure, but that's pretty standard), this would indicate that
something is sending SIGINT to the postmaster. The postmaster will
interpret that as a fast shutdown request. So the problem is not with
the postmaster, but with whatever is sending the signal.

I suspect this isn't a platform problem so much as a setup mistake.
How are you launching the postmaster? Is it possible it's still
connected to a controlling terminal? (If so, the shell would probably
SIGINT the postmaster anytime you typed control-C.)