Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!
Date: 2023-04-04 15:18:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> However I tried to do a pass of the Needs Review patches and found
> that a lot of them were really waiting for comment and seemed to be
> useful features or bug fixes that already had a significant amount of
> work put into them and seemed likely to get committed if there was
> time available to work on them.

Yeah, we just don't have enough people ...

> So I think these patches are actual useful patches that we would want
> to have but are likely, modulo some bug fixes, to get moved along to
> the next CF again without any progress this CF:

I have comments on a few of these:

> * Remove dead macro exec_subplan_get_plan

TBH, I'd reject this one as not being worth the trouble.

> * monitoring usage count distribution

And I'm dubious how many people care about this, either.

> * Improve pg_bsd_indent's handling of multiline initialization expressions

This is going to go in once the commit fest is done; we're just holding
off to avoid creating merge issues during the CF time crunch.

> * clean up permission checks after 599b33b94

I believe that the actual bug fixes are in, and what's left is just a test
case that people weren't very excited about adding. So maybe this should
get closed out as committed.

Perhaps we'll get some of the others done by the end of the week.