Re: Precedence of standard comparison operators

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Precedence of standard comparison operators
Date: 2015-08-10 15:31:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 08:06:11PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> So yeah, I do think that getting a syntax error if you don't use
>>> parentheses is the preferable behavior here.

> If we raise a syntax error, then there should be very informative message,

Yeah, it would sure be nice to throw something better than "syntax error".
But I've looked at bison's facilities for that, and they're pretty bad.
I'm not sure there's much we can do short of moving to some other parser
generator tool, which would be a Large Undertaking ... and I don't know
of any arguably-better tool anyway.