Re: valgrind error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: valgrind error
Date: 2020-06-05 16:17:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> I can reproduce this on a 2017-vintage CPU with ./configure
> ... USE_SLICING_BY_8_CRC32C=1 and then running "make installcheck-parallel"
> under valgrind-3.15.0 (as packaged by RHEL 7.8). valgrind.supp has a
> suppression for CRC calculations, but it didn't get the memo when commit
> 4f700bc renamed the function. The attached patch fixes the suppression.

I can also reproduce this, on RHEL 8.2 which likewise has valgrind-3.15.0,
using the same configuration to force use of that CRC function. I concur
with your diagnosis that this is just a missed update of the pre-existing
suppression rule. However, rather than

- fun:pg_comp_crc32c
+ fun:pg_comp_crc32c*

as you have it, I'd prefer to use

- fun:pg_comp_crc32c
+ fun:pg_comp_crc32c_sb8

which precisely matches what 4f700bc did. The other way seems like
it's giving a free pass to problems that could lurk in unrelated CRC
implementations.