Re: plpythonu -> python3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Packagers <pgsql-packagers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, git(at)rmr(dot)ninja
Subject: Re: plpythonu -> python3
Date: 2019-11-07 17:57:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
>> As python2 is EOL very soon, I'd say that point is now, i.e. we should
>> make plpythonu.control point at plpython3u in PG13+.

> We're starting to work on that; it's not a trivial change. Among other
> things, pg_pltemplate has got pointers at plpython2 as well. See [1]
> for one preliminary step, and there are other discussions in the archives
> about things we could do to make this smoother.

Some of that prior discussion is here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5351890.TdMePpdHBD%40nb.usersys.redhat.com

One thing that'd be useful to do, perhaps, is polish up the conversion
script I posted in that thread, and make it available to users before
plpython2 disappears. (As written, it needs both plpython versions
to be available ...)