RE: GROUP BY using tablename.* does not work if tablename has 1 column with NULL values

From: "Narayanan Iyer" <nars(at)yottadb(dot)com>
To: "'Francisco Olarte'" <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
Subject: RE: GROUP BY using tablename.* does not work if tablename has 1 column with NULL values
Date: 2021-10-11 12:10:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Francisco,

Sorry about the quoting style. I am used to including the original email in my response for better context. Did not realize that would get pasted in the discussion thread. I don't have a way of editing it. If you do, please remove those prior emails in my response.

You are right. My inner query was an outer join returning 3 rows. But what I did not understand was that the NULLs in 2 of the 3 rows were different because 1 was a composite NULL and 1 was a ROW(NULL) and hence they showed up as 2 different NULLs/rows even after a GROUP BY. Tom's explanation cleared it up for me.

So no issues. Like I mentioned in another response, please close this bug report. I don't think I can.

Narayanan.