RE: vacuum

From: Neil Toronto <NToronto(at)Dentrix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: vacuum
Date: 2000-07-13 23:48:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Maybe a good measure of how often the database needs to be vacuumed is how
often the administrators currently vacuum it?

For instance, if it's being vacuumed less than once a day, it may be
perfectly acceptable to vacuum it once early in the morning when nobody is
using it - assuming nobody uses it then, of course.

If the administrators have been using the product for a while, it may not be
too much of a problem to ask when the "slow times" are - you might be able
to just ask them. We do electronic billing, and I've found that the people
who know the most about slow times and such are those people, and the Tech
Support Queen.

Just a couple of thoughts...
Neil