Re: postgres_fdw cost estimation defaults and documentation

From: Jim Finnerty <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw cost estimation defaults and documentation
Date: 2017-06-07 01:24:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In some MPP systems, networking costs are modeled separately from I/O costs,
processor costs, or memory access costs. I think this is what Ashutosh may
have been getting at with /per-packet/ costs: in a more sophisticated fdw
cost model there could be a network cost per /packet/ that would be
independent of the cost of reading the next page or a random page from local
storage.