Re: Generate user/group sysids from a sequence?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Generate user/group sysids from a sequence?
Date: 2003-01-17 19:32:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> Have we decided it's really too difficult to remove all references to a
> given sysid when the user is dropped?

Getting at objects in other databases is considerably less practical
than anything we've discussed here. At a minimum I think it would
require launching an additional backend to connect into each other
database. But that is pretty ugly because then the updates in each
database are distinct transactions --- what if one fails, and you've
already committed removals in other databases?

In an ideal world we'd drop a user's objects during DROP USER, but
I don't foresee achieving that nirvana any time soon. At least not
unless we want to change users to become local to databases.