Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Jason Watkins <jason_watkins(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-01-29 17:12:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> writes:
> If your replication is stopped for a long time, leaving the RI triggers
> on the slave sometimes prevents replication from ever catching up on
> a loaded system. I still haven't figured out why, though.

I suspect the issue has to do with the infamous "triggered data change
violation" code in 7.1. That has O(N^2) behavior if a single
transaction makes a lot of repeated updates to the same rows. Which
I think is exactly the scenario for Andrew's system when the replicator
gets behind and is trying to propagate a lot of history in one batch.

The error check and the O(N^2) behavior are both gone in 7.2.