Re: List of postgreSQL databases

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: List of postgreSQL databases
Date: 2010-05-10 18:52:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de> writes:
>> SELECT datname FROM pg_database;

> Is this guaranteed to stay forever?

It seems reasonably unlikely that we'd change it. Even if we did,
we have in the past provided compatibility views (cf pg_user,
pg_shadow) when removing a catalog --- I would think the same would
happen for pg_database if we ever removed it.

> Isn't there a way to make the list of databases available in
> information_schema and change this view whenever the underlaying
> structure might change?

The point of information_schema is that it's standardized. There
is no view in the SQL standard that corresponds to a list of databases.
If you think there ought to be, take it up with the SQL committee.