Re: Back branches vs. gcc 4.8.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Back branches vs. gcc 4.8.0
Date: 2013-04-05 22:45:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The respective macro magic is already in place, its just not used in all
> places. The problem is more that we can't easily use it in all places
> because e.g. in the one case mentioned here the array isn't in the last
> place *in the back branches*.

I don't think we should try to back-patch such changes; there seems too
much risk of breaking third-party code because of the sizeof() issue.
But it'd be a good idea to have it in place before we find ourselves
having to do -fno-aggressive-loop-optimizations or some such even in
up-to-date branches.

(I'm actually even more worried about gcc bugs that make this type of
assumption than about intentional changes on their part.)